The smell of pumpkin spice and apple cider is finally here! Here are six things to add to your October budget!
Remember, budgets are NOT constricting but instead give you FREEDOM to be in control of your money, rather than your money in CONTROL OF YOU!
Whether you are an excel nerd (like myself) or prefer pen and paper, I’ve got you covered.
Have you tried budget and it just doesn’t work for you? You give up halfway through the month or at the end of the month, you are over budget? Don’t give up! Here are 12 reasons your budget isn’t working.
1. Fall clothes
Fall temperatures are starting to drop (unless you live in the south like me), which means sweater weather is here.
Before you go out and buy a whole new wardrobe, go through last years fall clothes in your closet and try and come up with some fun new outfits by piecing different clothes together.
2. Hurricane Season
If you live on the east coast of the country or a place that can be hit by hurricanes, it is now prime time for their arrival.
Create a small hurricane kit in case you lose power for a few days.
Here are some staples to have:
3. Amazon Prime Day - October 11th and 12th
This year Amazon is having a second Prime day in October to give you early access to Black Friday and Cyber Monday Sales.
Take some time to sit down and plan out your Christmas gift lists for your friends and family and get some great deals!
Check out my Amazon favorites here!
4. Fall activities
Fall is full of fun activities like apple picking, harvest festivals, pumpkin patches, and corn mazes.
Add some extra money in your budget for some fun this fall!
5. School Photos
Don’t forget picture day!
School photos typically range from $60 to $200, depending on the package.
Yes, school photos are pricy but they are something you will look back on for years to come and they can also double as Christmas gifts for the grandparents!
Don’t forget to buy Halloween candy for the trick-or-treaters in your neighborhood.
Shop early for Halloween costumes before all the good ones are gone!
In Season Produce
Buying in-season produce is a great way to save money on your grocery budget. Here are the top produce items on sale in October:
- Brussel Sprouts
- Butternut Squash
- Collard Greens
- Sweet Potato
- Honeydew Melon
Here is a complete guide of in-season produce by month!
What did I miss? What are you including in your September budget? Comment below!
More ways to save!
- CIT Bank: BEST High-yield savings account; your bank shouldn’t be charging you money. Instead, YOU should be making money off your money!
- Ladder: Get a quick, free quote on term life insurance, affordable, online term life insurance. No exam! No waiting! No hassles!
- GetUpside: Earn 20 cents per gallon on gas cash back when you download the app and use code FIAB20.
- Fetch Rewards is a free grocery savings app that rewards you just for snapping pictures of your receipts. That’s it. Really. Free gift cards on groceries on thousands of products every day, no matter where you get your groceries. Just scan your receipts and get gift cards from retailers like Amazon, Target, Ulta, Applebees. Use code QHKBH to earn 2,000 points ($2)!
- GoodRx: Free app that provides you savings of up to 80% on your prescriptions (even if you don’t have insurance). $5 sign up bonus!
- Rakuten: Get cash back on online purchases and automatic coupons and savings with their browser plugin… and remember, you have to make a $20 purchase to get your $20 for free!
- Blooom: FREE 401(k) or IRA analyzer, Let the experts take a peek at your retirement account. Get real advice on how it’s doing and how it could be performing better.
- Lively: A modern health savings account. Prepare for tomorrow by making smart decisions about finances and healthcare today. Lively HSAs are free for individuals and families, so you never have to worry about hidden costs.
- Build Wealth by Investing in Index Funds Course: I’ve teamed up with my friend Jeremy from Personal Finance Club to teach you everything you need to know to invest in index funds! How to open an account, how much to invest, and how to choose an index fund. You’ll gain the knowledge and confidence to optimally invest and build wealth for decades.
Some of the links in this article are "affiliate links", a link with a special tracking code. This means if you click on an affiliate link and purchase the item, we will receive an affiliate commission. The price of the item is the same whether it is an affiliate link or not. Regardless, we only recommend products or services we believe will add value to our readers. By using the affiliate links, you are helping support our Website, and we genuinely appreciate your support.