Grocery stores have little discrete ways of manipulating you to spend more money but today I’m going to share them with you. Once you know them you are able to be aware and not fall into their traps to spend unnecessary money!
Grocery stores get you to spend more money by the music they play
Did you know that there is two ways grocery stores use music to manipulate you into spending more money?
The first way grocery stores manipulate you through their music is by playing songs with a slower beat.
This will subconsciously cause you to walk slower and see more products which often leads to impulse purchases.
The second way grocery stores manipulate you through their music is by playing “throwback” or really fun songs that you enjoy singing along to.
There is just something about those early 2000’s throwback songs that you can’t help but sing along to, this instantly puts you in a good mood, which also leads to impulse purchases.
The smells of fresh baked bread
Just like the ice cream shop and the smell is fresh made waffle cones to get you to up-sell your order, grocery stores use the smells of fresh baked bread to get you to add a fresh loaf to your cart.
More ways to save!
- Ladder: Get a quick, free quote on term life insurance, affordable, online term life insurance. No exam! No waiting! No hassles!
- GetUpside: Earn 20 cents per gallon on gas cash back when you download the app and use code FIAB20.
- Fetch Rewards is a free grocery savings app that rewards you just for snapping pictures of your receipts. That’s it. Really. Free gift cards on groceries on thousands of products every day, no matter where you get your groceries. Just scan your receipts and get gift cards from retailers like Amazon, Target, Ulta, Applebees. Use code QHKBH to earn 2,000 points ($2)!
- GoodRx: Free app that provides you savings of up to 80% on your prescriptions (even if you don’t have insurance). $5 sign up bonus!
- Rakuten: Get cash back on online purchases and automatic coupons and savings with their browser plugin… and remember, you have to make a $20 purchase to get your $20 for free!
- Blooom: FREE 401(k) or IRA analyzer, Let the experts take a peek at your retirement account. Get real advice on how it’s doing and how it could be performing better.
- Lively: A modern health savings account. Prepare for tomorrow by making smart decisions about finances and healthcare today. Lively HSAs are free for individuals and families, so you never have to worry about hidden costs.
- CIT Bank: BEST High-yield savings account, your bank shouldn’t be charging you money, instead, YOU should be making money off your money!
- Build Wealth by Investing in Index Funds Course: I’ve teamed up with my friend Jeremy from Personal Finance Club to teach you everything you need to know to invest in index funds! How to open an account, how much to invest, and how to choose an index fund. You’ll gain the knowledge and confidence to optimally invest and build wealth for decades.
Grocery stores move their items to get you to buy more
Grocery stores and warehouse stores like Costco are famous for moving around their items so that you can’t just run in and run out with one item.
Stores will move around their items so that you have to walk through the store, up and down items to find the item you are looking for, and hopefully pickup some impulse buys along the way!
Are you one who tends not to have any extra cash on hand? Many people experience this, but with the current economic climate, rising prices are putting a dent in their pockets. When you have an emergency fund, you have a safety net for unexpected times, making it crucial for several reasons.
My YouTube & Blogger Income Report January 2024 | YouTube, Courses, Digital Products, Social Media Marketing
In this YouTube income report, you will see a detailed breakdown of how the channel made $7,261.15 in the month of January 2024, through Adsense, digital products, website ad revenue, course sales, memberships, freelance social media, and sponsorships.
Your wedding is one of the most important events in your life. This usually warrants splurging as much as you have in your bank account to keep things to the dreamy and picturesque Pinterest standard. However, it’s important to pull yourself back from spending every cent you have.
At its core, a wedding is a celebration of love and unity. You and your partner will become life partners after your special day. Unfortunately, spending all your savings can take way too much time and effort to recover financially.
My YouTube & Blogger Income Report December 2023 | YouTube, Courses, Digital Products, Social Media Marketing
In this YouTube income report, you will see a detailed breakdown of how the channel made $5,679.88 in the month of November 2023, through Adsense, digital products, website ad revenue, course sales, memberships, freelance social media, and sponsorships.
Deciding which phone plan to get can be a difficult decision as there are so many choices, and this challenge is exacerbated when you are on a strict budget looking to find the best balance between not spending too much with getting the services that you require.
That said, what is most important is a very individual distinction as something that is important to you may not be to someone else, and vice versa.
It’s no secret that having kids comes with expenses–from the necessities, like groceries and education, to nonessentials, like vacations and toys. Many families struggle to keep their finances under control.
Creating a family budget is an important way to ensure you are spending wisely. However, how do you know how much money should go towards the essentials, and how much you can spend on the fun parts of family life? Here are some tips for balancing wants versus needs in your family budget.
Buy it before it's gone
Grocery stores have started manipulating their shoppers by placing limits on their items.
What this does is gives you a scarcity mindset.
You probably only needed one of this item but now that you see a limit on it, that makes you think that it may not be there the next time you need it so you buy the limit that they offer.
Avoid eye level items
When grocery shopping, avoid eye-level items, these items often have the highest markup, so look up or down for the best deal!
FREEBIE Cost Comparison Printable!
Do you know off the top of your head who has the best prices for milk, diapers, eggs, and all of your favorite items?
I know I don’t!
Download this Free Cost Comparison Printable to keep track!
Some of the links in this article are "affiliate links", a link with a special tracking code. This means if you click on an affiliate link and purchase the item, we will receive an affiliate commission. The price of the item is the same whether it is an affiliate link or not. Regardless, we only recommend products or services we believe will add value to our readers. By using the affiliate links, you are helping support our Website, and we genuinely appreciate your support.