With current events that have gripped the nation recently, I wanted to share some of my favorite black-owned businesses within the personal finance community.
This list is not exhaustive and I certainly encourage you to find BIPOC (black, indiginous, people of color) accounts that inspire you on your own.
Please also feel free to comment on this blog post with any additional bloggers, vloggers, podcasters, or creators in this space that I did not add to this list.
The Popcorn Finance Podcast is owned and operated by Chris Browning. Chris and his podcast have been featured on Forbes, Nerdwallet, Vice, The AP and more. The Popcorn Finance Podcast focuses on quick, actionable personal finance topics that you can listen to for under the time it takes to microwave a bag of popcorn.
Follow Popcorn Finance:
Quinton from Q Makes It Happen is motivating others and sharing his journey to build wealth. Q grew his income from $18,000 to $60,000 and paid off $33,000 in debt, all in just 4 years! Since becoming debt free Q has jumped into investing and documenting his journey on learning how to invest while keeping you motivated. Wherever you are on your financial journey.
Follow Q Makes It Happen:
George Pitts is the CEO of George Pitts & Company. George is a business coach, real estate investor, public speaker, and author. George helps entrepreneurs grow their side hustle to seven figures by helping them take the skills they already have and monetizing them online.
Follow Mr. George Pitts:
Zay from The Wealth Strategist shares his journey of finance, fitness and self-development while working towards financial independence. Zay, like so many, came from a family that didn’t discuss money and finances. He decided to step up to the plate and educate himself. Zay focuses on building wealth — especially, first generational wealth.
Follow Zay – The Wealth Strategist:
Winning To Wealth is owned and operated by Michael Lacy. Michael and his podcast have been featured on Forbes and CNBC. Michael, beyond being an incredible storyteller, is an entrepreneur, dad, husband and man of faith. His podcast, which has transitioned from The Wealthy Neighbors Show to The Winning To Wealth Show, features helpful, actionable ‘Money Tip Mondays’ as well as showcases people in the personal finance industry from all walks of life.
Follow Winning To Wealth:
Shyra and Marques Murrey are the founders of Black, Married and DEBT FREE. They paid off 6-figures of debt and have transitioned into real estate investing. The Murrey’s are all about helping you to eliminate debt and build wealth. Black, Married and DEBT FREE has been featured on His & Her Money and have a book, The Hidden Psychological Effects of Money on Black Women.
Follow Black, Married and DEBT FREE:
Carmen is the owner founder of Make Real Cents. Carmen paid off $57k in debt and began Make Real Cents to inspire others on the path to debt freedom. Make Real Cents is on a mission to provide you with the “been there, done that” do’s and don’ts of personal finance with a little humor on the side. Carmen recently quit her 6 figures income job to learn how to code and is now currently creating her own budgeting app!
Follow Make Real Cents:
Anthony ONeal was homeless at the age of 19, living out of his car, deep in debt. After hitting rock bottom, he turned his life around and has committed his career to helping students find and pursue their life aspirations. Anthony is passionate about helping youth make informed decisions with their money, personal development and going to college with a debt free degree! Anthony is a best selling author, Dave Ramsey Personality and has been featured on FOX News, CNN and TBN.
Follow Anthony O’Neal:
Nicole Walters is a powerhouse! She was a top-selling corporate executive who quit her six figure income job in sales and built a million-dollar business in just one year! Nicole has been featured in US Weekly, Forbes, Fox News, Entrepreneur, Parents, ABC News, Woman’s Day and Good Morning America.
Follow Nicole Walters:
Julien and Kiersten Saunders paid off over 6 figures of debt in just two years! They are both financial coaches and help families eliminate debt and build wealth. The Saunders and their blog, Rich®ULAR, have been featured in Forbes, The New York Times, CBS The Morning, Black Enterprise, Glamour, and Market Watch… just to name a few.
Follow Rich & Regular
11. His & Her Money
His and Her Money is owned and operated by Talaat and Tai McNeely. The McNeely’s and their empire have been featured in too many publications to name, but most notably, Entrepreneur, The Huffington Post, Essence, MSN and Business Insider. Talaat and Tai are money and marriage experts that have built an incredible platform for personal finance education and relationship building.
Follow His and Her Money:
12. Our Rich Journey
Amon and Christina Browning are former federal government employees that have reached Financial Independence and retired at 39. They then moved to Portugal with their two kids! Our Rich Journey have been featured on ABC News, Good Morning America, Daily Mail and Parade. Our Rich Journey shares ways to make money, save money
, and invest money. Their goal is to inspire you to pursue financial independence.
Follow Our Rich Journey:
13. Slay This Debt
Deedra is owner and founder of Slay This Debt, a popular YouTube Channel that focuses on manifesting the money moves you want to see in your life. Over the last couple of years, Slay This Debt has racked up a notable following on YouTube and Instagram. She has been featured on His and Her Money, Black, Married and DEBT FREE and A Sunny Side Up Life. Deedra gives real life, money and military family advice that anyone can use in their day-to-day.
Follow Slay This Debt:
As I said previously, this list could go on forever.
Ways To Save Money:
Here at Freedom In A Budget, I am all about saving money! Here are some of the EASY ways that I save money:
- CIT Bank: BEST High-yield savings account; your bank shouldn’t be charging you money. Instead, YOU should be making money off your money!
- Ladder: Get a quick, free quote on term life insurance, affordable, online term life insurance. No exam! No waiting! No hassles!
- GetUpside: Earn 20 cents per gallon on gas cash back when you download the app and use code FIAB20.
- Fetch Rewards is a free grocery savings app that rewards you just for snapping pictures of your receipts. That’s it. Really. Free gift cards on groceries on thousands of products every day, no matter where you get your groceries. Just scan your receipts and get gift cards from retailers like Amazon, Target, Ulta, Applebees. Use code QHKBH to earn 2,000 points ($2)!
- GoodRx: Free app that provides you savings of up to 80% on your prescriptions (even if you don’t have insurance). $5 sign up bonus!
- Rakuten: Get cash back on online purchases and automatic coupons and savings with their browser plugin… and remember, you have to make a $20 purchase to get your $20 for free!
- Blooom: FREE 401(k) or IRA analyzer, Let the experts take a peek at your retirement account. Get real advice on how it’s doing and how it could be performing better.
- Lively: A modern health savings account. Prepare for tomorrow by making smart decisions about finances and healthcare today. Lively HSAs are free for individuals and families, so you never have to worry about hidden costs.
- Build Wealth by Investing in Index Funds Course: I’ve teamed up with my friend Jeremy from Personal Finance Club to teach you everything you need to know to invest in index funds! How to open an account, how much to invest, and how to choose an index fund. You’ll gain the knowledge and confidence to optimally invest and build wealth for decades.
Some of the links in this article are "affiliate links", a link with a special tracking code. This means if you click on an affiliate link and purchase the item, we will receive an affiliate commission. The price of the item is the same whether it is an affiliate link or not. Regardless, we only recommend products or services we believe will add value to our readers. By using the affiliate links, you are helping support our Website, and we genuinely appreciate your support.